Ugalu isn't just a supplement, it's a challenge. Most creature supplements have some sort of beef-cakey "do I want to twiddle my hair and talk about boys with it or do I want to sleep with it" vibe but Ugalu or an ugalu dispenses with that. The cover is a demon simply f-ing a guy up. There's no ambiguity. There was a whole guy, and at some point in the recent history, an ugalu decided that the self-same ugalu had enough of said guy's shit and now what is left is simply arms.
A F-ING DOLLAR
Kudos to you, Mr. Hirka on your rendering. The cover leaves some to imagination but two pages later, we see Ugalu in even less ambiguous terms f-ing a guy up. You may say to yourself "but Terry, the demon is in water YET HE IS UNWET IN THE ARTISTIC RENDERING!" to which I have three responses as follows:
- It is Ugalu of the Unwetted Fur
- The water is so artfully rendered by one Mr. Hirka that your philistine eyes notice not the droplets.
- It's an f-ing dollar what do you want?
JUST ONE F-ING DOLLAR
After two pages of toasty ugalu depiction, one encounters the ugalu text proper. The ugalu are described and enumerated in terms of both habit and mechanics and one learns great knowledge of their ways. You are exposed to the word "euryhaline" a word that will expand you vocabulary as the ugalu expand your game.
SERIOUSLY, IT'S JUST A BUCK
Exhaustive list of criticisms
A reader might think this hagiography BUT NO I HAVE FOUND FAULTS IN THIS TEXT!
- The copyright date is 2018 and it clearly came out in 2019. Is this amateur hour? The cover art suggests not.
- Cyclopean is often a reference to size. Twer it my supplement I would have said "wide monocular faces" instead of "wide cyclopean faces"
And with that my criticism ends
THEY'RE GOOD GUYS AND IF YOU WANT MORE OF THESE PUT YOUR BOOGIE DOLLAR DOWN AND BUY